Ride with a Patrol Officer
The Police Department's Ride-Along Program enables citizens and other off-duty law enforcement personnel ride with a patrol officer.
Requirements & Qualifications
All citizens must meet the following requirements to be approved to ride with a patrol officer:
- Be at least 14 years old (unless approved by the operations division commander);
- Complete and sign the Ride-Along Release Form (Request to Accompany Officer and Release of Liability). If the individual is under the age of 18, a parent or guardian must also sign the form);
- Pass a local background check.
The following rules apply to individuals participating in the Ride-Along program:
- No weapons may be carried by citizens while on a ride-along;
- No recording devices of any type may be used by citizens (except by members of the news media);
- Any recording by the news media must first be approved by the on-duty watch commander.
Members of the news media and their recording devices may not be taken into a citizen’s home without permission of the homeowner or person in charge of the premises.
For more information, please contact the Aberdeen Police Department at (605) 626-7911. If this is an emergency, please dial 9-1-1.