Police Reserve Force Functions
The Aberdeen Police Department maintains a force of police reserves comprised of private citizens, trained in police work who are intended to aid and assist (not replace) regular officers in normal police duty and in cases of emergencies.
Members of the Police Reserve Force must follow all regular employee rules and procedures. Due to the uniqueness of Police Reserve Force and in order to effectively manage the Police Reserve Force, additional policies may be adopted subject to the approval of the chief of police.
Police Reserve Force Criteria & Information
- Police reserve officers are certified by the State of South Dakota.
- Police reserve officers of the Aberdeen Police Department are assigned to assist full-time personnel both in the day-to-day delivery of law enforcement services and for any emergency.
- Reserve officers work under the direct supervision of a full-time sworn officer.
- The selection procedures established for regular police officers shall apply to the selection of police reserve officers.
- The policy of the Aberdeen Police Department is to commission police reserve officers only after completion of a qualified training program. Training of police reserve officers is equivalent to training provided to regular full-time officers and is coordinated through and approved by the department training administrator.
- The policy of the Aberdeen Police Department is to offer its police reserve officers in-service training equivalent to that of full-time officers performing like functions. Training of reserve officers is coordinated through and approved by the department training sergeant.
- The Aberdeen Police Department issues all uniform items. An exception to this is the reserve badge where "Reserve" is in place of "Patrolman."
- Police reserve officers of the Aberdeen Police Department are equipped the same as full-time officers performing like functions.
- The Aberdeen Police Reserves are bonded with the same coverage that is provided to full-time officers performing like functions.
- The Aberdeen Police Reserves are provided public liability protection equal to that of full-time officers.
For more information, please contact the Aberdeen Police Department at (605) 626-7911. If this is an emergency, please dial 9-1-1.