Having Safe Teen Parties
How to Ensure a Fun, Safe Party
The most important ingredient to a safe and fun party is the parent. The following checklist can help you ensure everyone at your child’s party:
For More Information
- Plan in advance and make sure there is a guest list. You want to avoid the open party situation.
- Make sure there are agreed upon rules ahead of time, for example:
- No drugs, including alcohol
- Some rooms in the house are off limits
- No gate crashers
- Make sure all the alcohol is locked up, and don’t let any backpacks into the party.
- Anyone who leaves the party should not be allowed to return. This will prevent teens from leaving to go drink or use drugs and returning to the party.
- Notify your neighbors about the party and that it will be supervised.
- Plan to have plenty of food and non-alcoholic drinks and plan activities ahead of time, including movies, dancing, etc.
- Discuss the party afterward with your teenager, and share your observations and anything you feel could have done better.
If you have any questions, please contact Aberdeen Police D.A.R.E. Officer Keith Theroux at (605) 626-7058, or visit the D.A.R.E. national website