Permit Process Exemptions
Exemptions from the permit process include the following:
- Residential one-story detached buildings used as tool/storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (18.58 m2) - however, a zoning permit is required
- Walks and driveways not over 30 inches (762 mm) high
- Painting, flooring, cabinets, and similar finish work
- Replacement of overhead garage doors that do not require the framing of an existing structure to be altered
- Installation of rain gutters and the repair or replacement of soffits or fascias
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of a single-family dwelling that do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm)
- Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep
Exemption from the permit requirements shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done to violate the provisions of any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.
For More Information
The Planning, Zoning, and Code Enforcement Department requires that setbacks from property lines be met. If you have any questions or need to find the specific setbacks
for your zoning area, please call Planning, Zoning, and Code Enforcement at (605) 626-7017.