Protect Yourself While Walking
- Try not to overload yourself with packages.
- Vary your daily route.
- Avoid walking alone at night.
- Walk only on busy, well-lit streets.
- Don’t walk through dark parking lots, parks, or other dark places.
- Do not walk too closely to the inside of a sidewalk, near bushes, alley entrances, driveways, or entrances to private places.
- Carry a whistle.
- If a car approaches, and the driver bothers you, walk in the opposite direction.
- If someone asks you for directions from their car, do not walk over to them - ask them to speak louder.
- If you think someone is following you, do not go home. Go instead to a neighbor’s house, the police department, or other well-lit place where there will be people to help you.
- If you arrive home by taxi or with a friend, ask them to wait until you are inside your home before leaving.
- Do not hitchhike or accept rides.
Check out what to do if you become a victim of assault
For more information, please contact the Aberdeen Police Department at (605) 626-7911. If this is an emergency, please dial 9-1-1.