- Crime Prevention
- Tips & Information
- Child Safety
- Tips for Mom & Dad
Tips for Mom & Dad
Safety Tips to Help Protect Your Children
- Children should know their full name, home phone number, and how to use the telephone. Post your contact information where your children will see it, including numbers for your office, cell phone, pager, etc.
- Children should have a trusted adult to call if they’re scared or have an emergency.
- Choose babysitters with care. Obtain references from family, friends, and neighbors. Once you have chosen the caregiver, drop in unexpectedly to see how your children are doing. Ask your children how the experience with the caregiver was, and listen carefully to their responses.
Safety in the Neighborhood
- Make a list with your children of their neighborhood boundaries, choosing significant landmarks.
- Interact regularly with your neighbors. Tell your children whose homes they are allowed to visit.
- Don’t drop your children off alone at malls, movie theatres, video arcades, or parks.
- Teach your children that adults should not approach children for help or directions. Tell your children that if they are approached by an adult, they should stay alert because this may be a trick.
- Never leave children unattended in an automobile. Children should never hitchhike or approach a car when they don’t know and trust the driver.
- Children should never go anywhere with anyone without getting your permission first.
Safety at School
- Be careful when you put your child’s name on clothing, backpacks, lunch boxes, or bicycle license plates. If a child’s name is visible, it may put them on a first-name basis with an abductor.
- Walk the route to and from school with your children, pointing out landmarks and safe places to go if they’re being followed or need help. Make a map with your children showing acceptable routes to school, using main roads and avoiding shortcuts or isolated areas. If your children take a bus, visit the bus stop with them and make sure they know which bus to take.
For more information, please contact the Aberdeen Police Department at 605-626-7911. If this is an emergency, please dial 911.