Protecting Your Home
Culex mosquitoes can develop in any stagnant water that lasts more than four days. To reduce the mosquito population around your home and property, reduce or eliminate all stagnant water:
- Dispose of tin cans, plastic containers, ceramic pots or similar water holding containers.
- Remove all discarded tires on your property. Used tires have become the most common mosquito-breeding site in the country.
- Drill holes in the bottoms of recycling containers that are kept outdoors.
- Make sure roof gutters drain properly and clean clogged gutters in the spring and fall.
- Turn over plastic wading pools and wheelbarrows when not in use.
- Change the water in birdbaths.
- Clean vegetation and debris from the edges of ponds.
- Clean and chlorinate swimming pools, outdoor saunas and hot tubs.
- Drain water from pool covers.
- Use landscaping to eliminate stagnant water that collects on your property.